Creating a unique and interesting fashion blog is all very well and good, but if you want to make your site stand out, you’re going to need to go beneath the bonnet and do a little optimising! Titles and Meta Descriptions are a great way to optimise your fashion blog, so here’s a guide as to why they’re so important for your SEO and content.
Title tags are designed to tell both search engines and web users what they can expect to find on a page or post. All HTML documents need a title tag and it is also one of the most important on-page SEO elements.
Titles appear on search engine results pages above URLs and will also appear at the top of a user’s browser. They give users insight into the content of the web page and why it might be relevant to their search query. Many users base their decision to click on a particular result on its title and meta description (something we’ll get onto shortly).
How to create eye-catching and effective titles on your blog:
- Keep them short and snappy: Titles should be less than 65 characters long so they fit perfectly onto search engine results pages.
- Make sure your titles are unique: Each title you create should be completely unique to the page or post you have created. It also must be relevant to the content displayed on said page or post.
- Use keywords: It is important to use relevant keywords naturally in your titles to improve your on-page SEO. Important keywords should appear close to the beginning of your title tag. Just don’t over do it with keywords, as no one likes a spammer!
Although meta descriptions won’t directly affect your fashion blog’s search engine rankings, they are great for generating click-throughs. The aim is to create a description that will sell the content of your page to search engine users in just a few sentences.
Just like with your titles, meta descriptions will be located in the head section of your blog’s HTML code. They will appear directly below the page or post title and your blog URL on search engine results pages.
It’s a good idea to create unique meta descriptions for every post and page you create on your fashion blog as if you don’t search engines will simply pull information from your blog and write one for you, which won’t be half as effective.
How to create eye-catching and effective meta descriptions for your blog:
- Make it unique: Each meta description should be completely unique and relevant to the content on your page.
- Keep it short: Your meta descriptions should be between 150 – 156 words or they’ll get cut off on SERPs and may confuse users.
- Include keywords: Although meta descriptions don’t affect SEO, search engines will put your keywords in bold if they match users’ search queries, helping to draw their attention to your URL.
If you’re a WordPress blogger, you can use the WordPress SEO Plugin by Yoast to optimise your titles and meta descriptions. The plugin is free to install and offers a whole host of benefits in terms of SEO! Do you optimise your posts using Meta-Descriptions? Let us know how you do so below.
Are you a chloédigital publisher? Take action with this post by asking your support specialist for guidance on how to improve your meta-descriptions and blog titles.
Want to become one? Find out all the benefits here.