Pinterest is the true secret weapon for growing your blog traffic consistently.
Want proof? Here’s what Buzzfeed VP of Growth and Data says about using Pinterest:
“It is BuzzFeed’s second largest social network referrer. It also has a much longer lifecycle than other social networks, often driving traffic to posts months after publication. In fact, more than half of BuzzFeed’s traffic from Pinterest goes to posts published more than 2 months ago.”
Raise your hand if you want an evergreen stream of fresh traffic to your best content without promoting the same post over and over again?
Right, so let’s get down to work then. Here are the key insights, spilled out by the Pinterest team during our recent #CDWT workshop that will help you slay on the platform.
UPGRADE TO A BUSINESS ACCOUNT
The Scoop: Upgrading to a business account is your signal to Pinterest that you are on the platform to be discovered (not to discover), so the algorithms will work on your side and ensure higher content visibility.
A business account also comes with additional perks:
- A new customized profile look with your content being displayed front and centre.
- Monthly viewers are on display – the number of people who saw your Pins in the past 30 days, including Pins you have saved to your profile, plus Pins saved by others from your website. This is a true measure of your influence on Pinterest. Leverage this as another cue to sign on those new sponsors.
How To Do It
CLAIM YOUR WEBSITE
The Scoop: Claiming your website gives you attribution and increases your brand visibility. This means that your profile picture will show up on every Pin that comes from your website, no matter who saves it.
Also, you will unlock some cool pro-tools to plug and play:
- Pin stats: A quick and easy way to see how your Pins are performing at a glance (impressions, close-ups, clicks, and saves) and which boards they’re being saved to.
- Pinterest Analytics: See what Pins and boards are performing best and how much traffic your website gets. Just like Google Analytics, this is a must use feature!
- Audience Insights: Reveals demographic info plus what your audience is interested in based on their behavior on Pinterest. Remember, high-affinity and a low percentage of audience signal an opportunity for traffic growth.
How To Do It
Simple! You just need to go to your profile settings and find a code snippet to copy and paste into the code of your website.
Step 1: Get the Meta Tag
- On desktop web, navigate to your Account settings
- In the Claim Website section, enter your website URL and click on Claim website
- Select the Add HTML tag option
- Copy the meta tag
- Click Next
Step 2: Add it to your website
Add the copied tag to the <head> section of the index.html file of your website before the <body> section.
Step 3: Finish setting up
Go back to Pinterest and click Submit—they will automatically check the meta tag and claim your site.
CREATE PINS DAILY
The Scoop: Pinterest prioritizes new, fresh content from content creators. Remember to create NEW pins that link back to your website daily, not just re-pin the goodies shared by others.
And here’s why you should commit to Pinning regularly:
- Users who create Pins from their website every day see up to a 500% increase in monthly viewers.
- Consistent daily activity is better than a once a week flurry. Keep in mind your Pins will be distributed first to your followers via the Following Tab (which is chronological, not algorithmic). If you flood a Pinner’s feed all at once, your content will be competing with itself for attention, or even worse, it can overwhelm your followers.
How To Do It
Pinning can take a lot of time. And if you are short on it, it’s absolutely okay to use a Pinterest-approved scheduling tool like Tailwind or another one of approved partners.
To save time on content creation you can also use tools like Canva or create a set of on-brand templates in Photoshop that you will update with new pictures and titles in a few clicks.
And if you want to receive even more traffic from Pinterest, check out our previous post with SEO optimization tips!