You already know that having a killer about me page is essential for establishing better relationships with your readers and converting them into long-term fans.
In this previous post, we laid out the key points you should mention in this page. Well, all but one – your blog manifesto.
A blog manifesto is a conscientious and clear way to explain readers why you blog and what’s in it for them. Think of it as a brief summary of your passion and purpose.
Let’s take a second to debrief: Why is having a blog manifesto important?
- It helps you keep a razor sharp focus of your personal brand and align your content strategy accordingly.
- It helps your readers get a quick grasp of what you blog is all about.
- It’s your public declaration of goals and intentions to keep you motivated!
Your blog manifesto should help you get a better idea of what you do and why you do it. Think of it as your roadmap to your blogging business goals, while also a tool to let your audience know how they can benefit from visiting your site.
What To Include In Your Blog Manifesto
You don’t need to type a lengthy piece (unless you feel like it, of course!). Focus on briefly covering the next 5 points for a start:
- The Values Behind Your Blog & Business. What do you believe in? What type of community would you like to gather at your platform? Maybe the peeps who share your values for mindful living? Or those who believe that life is more fun when filled with appealing things? Briefly sum up the values you find important and the ones which you’d love to promote via your blog.
- Figure Out Your Passion(s). What makes your heart leap with excitement? What makes you spend endless hours on polishing your content to perfection?
Passion is contagious! Sharing it in your manifesto is not only a great way to keep yourself inspired to work further on your blog business, but also to instil a spark of excitement inside your readers and establish a more intimate connection with them.
Define Your Strengths. (And focus on them). All of us are born with unique strength and talents, and it is no different when it comes to blogging: everybody has their strengths! You may know more about moving to another country or learning a 2nd language. These small things are your unique strengths, and you should be utilizing them to leverage your brand and make your personality shine through brighter.
How Do You Want Others To See You?Let’s daydream a bit more – what it would be like to go out for a coffee date with your blog personality? What kind of a first impression would she make on a total stranger? Visiting your about person should portray exactly this to anyone who stops by.
What is your blogging identity beyond your blog? Here are a few fun examples of questions to ask yourself to identify this: how would your blog look if turned into an offline experience e.g. a store? What kind of aesthetics would you like to offer? How would you like your customers to feel when they enter your boutique? As the brand owner would you love to be perceived as their best friend, a mentor or somebody else?
Writing Tip: Free write all the thoughts you have on the following points to draft a first manifesto. Afterwards, re-read and sum it all up into a sharper, more coherent text. Voila, you now have a blog manifesto to live by and help you stay focused on your goals (grand or small)!
Back to you: Do you have a blog manifesto? Have you ever thought of writing one? What else would you include?